Skip to Secondary Navigation Skip to Main Content

Current Beehive

San JoseChange

Sponsored by:

Temporary Financial Help for San Jose Families

Can you get help if you can’t support your family?

Depending on your family situation, you might be able to get help through the CalWORKs Program (California Work Opportunity and Responsibility to Kids). This used to be called welfare.
If you qualify, CalWORKs provides you with temporary help so you can get back on your feet. This is called Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF). TANF provides cash aid, child care, and help getting a job. Your family will also receive Medi-Cal (healthcare) and may be eligible for Food Stamps. Learn more about CalWORKS.

You can get CalWORKs if you fall into one of these categories:

  • You are a family that has at least one child who does not receive support from a second parent
  • A family with at least one child in which both parents are in the home, but the main wage earner is unemployed
  • If you take care of at least one foster child

How do you know if you qualify for CalWORKS?

Find out who qualifies for CalWORKS.

How do you apply for CalWORKS?

You must apply in person at the welfare department in the county you live in. If you live in Santa Clara County, go to the:

Application Assistance Center
Santa Clara Agency on Social Services

1919 Senter Road
San Jose, CA 95112
Phone: (408) 271-5500
Services: Apply for cash assistance, food stamps or MediCal/Medicare. You must apply in person for cash assistance or food stamps. You can call and have a form sent to you for MediCal or Medicare.
Hours: Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm

What if you don’t qualify for CalWORKS?

If you don’t qualify for CalWORKs, you may be able to get help through General Assistance (GA).

What is General Assistance (GA)?

GA is cash help for individuals and couples who do not quality for any other aid programs. Most people who are on GA are individuals or couples with no dependent children.
To find out if you qualify and to apply for GA, visit the:
Santa Clara County General Assistance office
591 North King Road
San Jose, CA 95133
Phone: (408) 928-3650
Average: 3.4 (5 votes)
Your rating: None